Panola County is home to over 30 advanced manufacturing and distribution companies and has many business service companies. Here are the top 5 reasons why your business should be here.
- Strategic Location
Just 45 minutes outside of Memphis, Tennessee, Panola County is strategically located for manufacturing. Access to the Memphis International Airport, the International Port of Memphis, and trucking and railway centers is fast via Interstate 55.
- Shovel-Ready Industrial Property
Over 400 shovel-ready acres are available in our Airport Industrial Complex, W.H. Harmon Industrial Complex/D.R. Craig Industrial Park, and other sites. View a listing of sites.
- Highly-Trained Labor Force
The Center for Manufacturing Excellence at the nearby University of Mississippi, ABET-accredited undergraduate degree programs at nearby universities, and workforce training programs at Northwest Community College means workers in Panola County are well-prepared for manufacturing and industrial jobs.
- Strong Local Incentives
Panola County offers highly competitive tax exemptions and other local incentives. Read more about local incentives.
- Low Operating Costs
The cost of doing business in Panola County is an appealing investment. Panola County has comparatively low property taxes, utility, and labor costs, as well as more affordably priced land, facilities, housing, medical care and other amenities.
Center for Manufacturing Excellence
The 47,000-square-foot Center for Manufacturing Excellence provides undergraduate interdisciplinary education in manufacturing. Courses are offered through the schools of Business Administration, Accountancy, and Engineering. Students work together in classes and on the 12,000-square-foot shop floor to develop products and address manufacturing problems. The Center is located in Oxford, Mississippi, on the University of Mississippi campus.
The Center also offers extension and training programs to Mississippi manufacturing companies and collaborates with K-12 schools and community colleges to develop programs.
Existing Manufacturers in Panola County
- Aerospace and Aviation: GE Aviation, located in Batesville, develops and produces components for jet engines.
- General Assembly: Batesville Casket Company employees 300 workers and produces burial caskets.
- Injection Molding: United Solutions, located in Sardis, manufactures molded plastic garbage containers.
- Automotive Manufacturing: Parker Hannifin Corporation, located in Batesville, employs nearly 400 workers and manufactures automotive air conditions parts and assemblies.
- Distribution: Performance Foodservice, located in Batesville, employs 127 workers that distribute frozen foods.
Research and Development
Groups and institutes affiliated with our state universities undertake manufacturing-related research and offer assistance to industries regarding manufacturing. These include:
- Center for Advanced Vehicular Systems (CAVS) of Mississippi State University located in Starkville
- Mississippi Polymer Institute of the University of Southern Mississippi located in Hattiesburg
- Composite Materials Research Group of the University of Mississippi, located in Oxford
Manufacturing Associations in the State
- The Mississippi Automotive Manufacturers Association acts as a forum for communication and cooperation among automotive manufacturing companies in Mississippi to promote the growth and development of the industry.
- The Mississippi Manufacturer’s Association advocates for and provides support for the manufacturing industry in Mississippi.
Incentives for Manufacturers
The state of Mississippi offers financial incentives to manufacturers expanding or locating to Mississippi. View the list of tax incentives.
Specific incentives for manufacturers include
- Aerospace Initiative Incentive Program
- Manufacturing Investment Tax Credit
- Industrial Property Tax Exemption
- Mississippi Advantage Jobs Incentive Program
- Jobs Tax Credit
These tax incentives can be combined with other business incentive programs. Click here for a full list of State tax exemptions, incentives, and credits.